The Charter Township of Clinton is commonly referred to as Clinton Township or simply Clinton. As of the 2000 census, the township had a total population of 95,648, and was Michigan's most populous township. As a suburb of Detroit, Clinton has remained the ninth largest community in Michigan. Clinton was named for the Clinton River. Moravian Drive is the township's oldest road dating back to the days when the Moravian Missionaries settled there in an attempt to convert the local Native Americans. In July, 1782 DePeyster provided the Moravian Missionaries with provisions and obtained a parcel of land on the Huron River from the Chippewa Indians for use until the war between England and the colonies was over. The Moravians left the area on April 20, 1786. By 1818, the Moravian Settlement was known as the Village of Frederick and contained 20 families. There was a hotel, several mills, a blacksmith, and a cooper (barrel maker). The Moravian Site also had a small clearing and burial spot which Indians still visit today to honor their ancestors.
In 2006, the town was rated the 17th safest community in the United States by CNN Money. Individual and community actions protect and improve the health of the Clinton River, assuring that its natural, economic and recreational value enhances the quality of life of those who live, work and play in the Clinton River watershed and Lake St. Clair. Clinton Township also offers attractive surroundings, well respected educational and medical institutions, unlimited recreational opportunities and many other resources and conveniences that provide a high quality of life for residents.
Clinton Township also manages over 45 acres of land set aside for public parks. They offer baseball fields, volleyball courts, playgrounds, soccer fields and picnic areas complete with pavilions and grills. The township offers several public services, including the Clinton Macomb Public Library, the Senior Center, the Historical Village, and athletic fields, which are all located on land adjacent to the Old Clinton and Kalamazoo Canal. There are also gardens, a fishing pond, a sledding hill and a gazebo that is a beautiful setting for summer concerts and weddings.