The History of the Kansas City Metropolitan Area dates back to the 1800s. The Kansas City Metropolitan Area, straddling the border between Missouri and Kansas at the confluence of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers, was seen as an excellent location to build several settlements.
Missouri joined the Union in 1821 and after the Treaty of St. Louis in 1825, the approximately 2,000 Missouri Shawnees were forcibly relocated from Cape Girardeau to southeastern Kansas, close to the Neosho River. In 1826, the Shawnee leader Tenskwatawa established a village in Argentine, Kansas. During 1833, only Black Bob's band of Shawnee resisted the relocation efforts. They settled in northeastern Kansas near Olathe and along the Kaw River in Monticello near Gum Springs. Tenskwatawa died in 1836 at White Feather Village, identified by a marker in modern Kansas City.
The language of the first European settlement in Kansas City was French. In 1821, 24-year-old François Gesseau Chouteau, nephew of René Auguste Chouteau, set up a permanent trading post at the great bend in the Missouri River that makes up the Northeast Industrial District (crossed today by Chouteau Trafficway). This began the city's long history as a center for commerce traveling through the area, north-south and east-west. Today, Kansas City is the third largest city in the state with an estimated population of 143,801.
Kansas is the home to the GM Fairfax plant, which manufactures the Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, and Saturn Aura. The Kansas Speedway attracts thousands of visitors per year and generates a healthy tourist economy. The Speedway also anchors a collection of retail shops and entertainment, including Cabela's Outdoors, Nebraska Furniture Mart, Great Wolf Lodge Indoor Waterpark and Resort, The Legends Outdoor Shopping Mall, Community America Ballpark, and the Schlitterbahn Vacation Village.
Kansas City has a variety of architectural points of interest, various historically notable landscapes and many famous and interesting buildings. The city is home to the Archdiocese of Kansas City, which covers 12,500 square miles of the Roman Catholic community in eastern Kansas. Other sites include the Rosedale Arch, Fire Station No. 9, the Granada Theater, Hanover Heights Historic District, the Huron Cemetery, Sauer Castle, the Scottish Rite Temple, and the Shawnee Street Overpass. The Grinter Place is near the Delaware Crossing (also known as "Military Crossing" and sometimes "the Secondine"), which allowed passage from the Old Indian Trail where it met the waters of the Kaw River.